Sammy Thompson recipient of the 2018
Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
Samuel (Sammy) G. Thompson is the recipient of the 2018 Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy at the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (NCADA) Annual Meeting in Hilton Head, SC on June 18, 2018. This newly created award is prestigious, and as the first receiver of the award, Thompson sets a high bar for future recipients.
Awardees of the Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy are members who have demonstrated over their career sustained excellence advocating for their clients in legal proceedings while maintaining the highest degree of professionalism and who are eminently qualified to advocate for clients in state and federal courtrooms. They are considered by the NCADA as among the finest trial lawyers in the state. Thompson has exemplified these qualities through tireless support and effort for and of his clients.
For his professional endeavors, Thompson has been awarded multiple honors, including:
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina State Litigation Star (2015-2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants; Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (2006-2018)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, Litigation: Healthcare & Medical Malpractice (2015-2017)
- Honoree, Top 100 Lawyers list and listed, Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice category, North Carolina Super Lawyers
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2006-2018)
Additionally, Thompson has worked assiduously to better the community around him as was demonstrated by his induction into the Wake County Boys & Girls Club Hall of Fame. Other notable affiliations include:
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Former President and present Member, Board of Directors of Boys and Girls Clubs of Wake County
- Former Chair and Member, Board of Directors of Family Violence Prevention Center (INTERACT)
Thompson received his bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctorate from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is a partner at Smith Anderson in Raleigh, NC., and is a founding member of the NCADA and served as president of the organization from 1986 to 1987.
North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (NCADA) is a professional organization of over 800 attorneys and paralegals who devote a majority of their time representing the interests of business and individuals in civil litigation. Visit us at www.ncada.org .